Week 1 Two Cultures
Though I have yet to experience the division between the two cultures of humanities versus sciences on campus firsthand, the differences between students in the two fields of study are blatantly evident even when perceived digitally. With UCLA in mind, I couldn’t help but remember some Facebook posts I’d seen with North/South campus students displaying their beliefs; some posts showed solidarity, and some attacked the other side. Even someone like me can understand that this divide is not a matter isolated to any particular campus or environment. Reading Professor Vesna’s paper “Toward a Third Culture: Being In Between”, however, I could see how the dissimilar viewpoints of artists and scientists can be brought together to construct a bridge over the chasm that has kept them apart.
![]() |
| South campus solidarity |
![]() |
| Graphic showing inability to communicate |
To realize the potential of the third culture, artists and scientists must work together rather than hold themselves above their counterparts. I personally believe that we are headed in the right direction. Due to shifting perspectives in the general public, the inclusivity and diversity we seek as a society will eventually come to integrate the humanities and the sciences together.



Comments
Post a Comment